Thursday, August 2, 2007

westfield food coart

I went to the movies the other night(I saw Harry Potter, If you liked the other movies you will like this one)and I popped in to the Westfield food. I am not talking about the Crappy old one near Nordstrom that is full of the mall food atrocities like Panda express and Sabaro, I mean the international smorgasbord that is below Bloomingdales on the other side. Even though people in this town prefer boutique shops and avoid malls at all cost the food court in the mall attracts all kid of people and is one of the smartest things I have ever seen a mall do. First I have to say that eating around union square usually sucks. I can't think of one casual restaurant that I like down there. Sure there is Farralon(which i don't like), Kuleto's, and Postrio(I only had dessert there, it was just OK) but I don't always want to spend a fortune, sometimes I just want a good casual dinner that won't break the bank. Evidently I am not alone in this feeling as the food court at the Westfield is Packed. Now don't get me wrong the food at most of the stalls is not great(b minus at best) but for the price you can't beat it, You can walk away from the counter usually for under 10 bucks. Everyone has there place that they like to eat but me i like Coriander Thai food. The curries are good and the peppercorn pork is better than average. The eye catching range of fried chicken and fish all has a very similar look and taste to them. I would skip them, not worth the calories. I am not alone in the praise of Coriander as there is usually a line. I have also eaten Eaten at Sorabol Korean BBQ as i guess the tradition in Korean food goes the condiments where much better than the actual food. The spicy chicken was good but the noodles where lack luster. In terms of the other restaurants in the good food court here is a quick run down;


Andale Mexican Restaurant - I will never eat here as there is spectacular Mexican food in this town and this isn't even close

Asqew Grill - We all have eaten at the other ones- this is place is boring at best

Beard Papa Sweets Cafe - On looks alone this place has intrigued me for months I finally ate there. Let's just say it's like an attractive woman with a bad laugh the dream is better than the reality. The cream puffs where soft and the chocolate not dark enough for me.

Bistro Burger - never ate there

Buckhorn Grill - when i eat there I feel like a person who thinks Applebees is a great Friday night restaurant

Cocola Bakery-never ate there

Jamba Juice- does this place need a review

Melt Gelato & Crepe Cafe- Gelato looks good, can you go wrong. I hate crepes!

Mr Hana- this place has large rice bowls with fresh fish on top worth a try

Out The Door (Slanted door outpost)- I am not a huge fan of the Slanted door I think it puts atmosphere before food and i think this place does the same thing. It also is really pricey for eating in a mall food court

Pasta Moto- It's pasta with can sauce

Rubio's Baja Grill-Never ate there

San Francisco Soup Company- soup looks like it cam from Safeway

Steak Escape-never ate there


I think the Westfield food court is a great place for dinner and a movie on Tuesday night. It is fast and not everyone has to eat the same kind of food. There are certain places to skip but all in all there is not much better food for block around. I would also like to push some of the hi-end restaurants inside the mall it's self. I have heard very good things about The Lark creek steak house.

Here is a link to the list of food in the mall

http://westfield.com/sanfrancisco/dining/index.html












































































No comments: